Best practices of interdisciplinary, student-centered, playful and experience-oriented education from Finland.
Finnish STEAM Education for Secondary Schools
High school and secondary school teachers
- Participants become familiar with Finnish National Core Curriculum’s recommendations for student- and learning-centered learning.
- Participants get a pragmatic introduction into Finnish STEM and STEAM learning.
Total: 10x90 Mins
- Assignments: 10
- Video Content: 20
- Reading Content / assignments: 20
- Live Meetings: 3
- Reflections: 10
- Internship or Development Project: 1
Interdisciplinary teaching design and practice
The first part of the course gives an introduction to interdisciplinary education based on current pedagogical trends and approaches. The primary source of inspiration is the Finnish National Core Curriculum's interdisciplinary framework for project-based learning, transversal themes and education for sustainable development. In addition to the Finnish context, to ensure the adaptability of the content, we will also study the lessons learned and the theoretical and pragmatic insights gained through Experience Workshop STEAM Network's (www.experiencworkshop.org) interdisciplinary education projects and cooperations in Asia, America, Europe, and Australia.
- Inter- and multidisciplinary education in Finland, based on the Finnish National Core Curriculum for Basic Education
- Everyday practices for inter- and multidisciplinary STEAM education
- International trends in inter- and multidisciplinary STEAM education
- Interdisciplinary Networks
Student-centered and experience-oriented teaching
Student- and learning-centered pedagogy is the leading trend in today's education. By enhancing learners' responsibility, autonomy, and authorship over their learning, student-centered pedagogies contribute to students' independence and lay the basis of lifelong learning. The pedagogical components of key competence development for lifelong learning are including student-centered approaches in literacy, multilingual, mathematical, scientific, digital competence domains, just like in the areas of personal, social, cultural, entrepreneurial, and citizenship competencies. On top of teaching subject-based content, the complex enhancement of the variety of skills requires motivating and engaging educational approaches. Experience-oriented education is a successful way of improving student-centered learning in any educational community. It focuses on the students' whole-person engagement and gives opportunities to introduce inquiry- and phenomenon-based settings in the learning process. The second part of the course offers insights to improve student-centered approaches by experience-oriented enhancement of collaboration and creativity in the learning process. We will also focus on the pedagogically conscious design and implementation of learning materials, the role of student-centered environments, and the challenge of introducing experience-oriented pedagogical methods.
- The Experience Workshop International STEAM Network: a Community for Developing Student-Centered and Experience-oriented Pedagogies for Everyday Learning
- Student-centered and experience-oriented methods, tools and stories from Experience Workshop’s collection
- Student-centered and experience-oriented approaches in the focus of research
- Creativity and innovation in Student-centered and experience-oriented pedagogy
- Supporting key competence development through student-centered and experience-oriented pedagogical approaches
- Key competence development in the perspective of research
Innovative educational projects, tools and applications
You can learn from educational case studies of extraordinary STEAM projects. We will explore the benefits of involving students into such low-threshold educational activities, like representing mathematical and artistic connections in the form of student-made artworks. In addition to providing inspiration and concrete ideas for interdisciplinary learning projects, we will introduce the pedagogical and institutional requirements of preparing such activities and developing the "interdisciplinary learning mindset" in your educational community.
- Organize Children and Youth Mathematical Art Exhibits in Your School!
- Interdisciplinary Patterns
- Famous Interdisciplinary Symmetries: From Beautiful Snowflakes to Nobel-awarded Buckyballs
- A great source for experiential learning: visual illusions and impossible figures!
- From Colorful Symmetries to Spatial Illusions with CaraWonga
- Adventures in Polyuniverse
- 4Dframe Construction Projects
- 4Dframe Robotics Projects 1
- 4Dframe Robotics Projects 2